Icons of Kauai Photography Workshop - SOLD OUT!!
Includes 4-nights single or double-occupancy lodging (single available for an additional cost) at one of the most luxurious resorts on the island.
Join Ryan Smith for the photography adventure of a lifetime on the beautiful island of Kauai!! From luxurious beach front accommodations with ocean view rooms, to adventure filled excursions, it's all included! Kauai is truly a photographer's paradise and we will experience it all on our Icons of Kauai Photography Workshop!!
Enjoy a front row seat as we capture the souring cliffs of the Napali Coast, the vast chasms of Waimea Canyon, and the cascading waterfalls and undeveloped beaches of the "Land of Discovery." The adventures and photographic opportunities are endless!!
Getting you to the most scenic and iconic spots on the island, at just the right time is Ryan Smith's specialty! While many other workshops are merely tours, this one is designed to share techniques and concepts that will enable you to take your photography to the next level. This workshop is truly the perfect mix of world-class photography opportunities, adventure and relaxation with friends.
The workshop is based at the luxurious Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort, one of the most luxurious resorts on the island! Accommodations, transportation and all adventures are included. We will meet at 10AM on May 1st for a meet-and-greet/orientation session to go over the week's schedule and activities.
We will keep a flexible agenda, and the itinerary will be bases on weather conditions, allowing us to maximize our photographic opportunities. Utilizing his intimate knowledge of the island, Ryan Smith will ensure you capture each iconic location at it's finest!!
Physical difficulty of the is workshop is moderate. Participants should be in good physical health, and able to walk/hike 1-3 miles per day. Many locations will be a short distance from a parking lot, but there is a possibility for longer hikes.
Napali Sunset Photography Cruise, where we will capture the breathtaking views of the Napali Coast on a spacious 65' Catamaran. Nothing quite compares to the peace and serenity of a Kauai sunset on the water. This area is only accessible by boat, so the views will be unobstructed, and all ours! A delicious catered dinner is included, along with appetizers and cocktails.
On our Sea Caves adventure, you will experience a snorkeling adventure like no other as we swim with and photograph giant sea turtles on the protected Naololi Kai Reef. We will explore 6 natural sea caves with cascading waterfalls that drop right into the ocean. As we continue down the Napali Coast, keep your eyes open for pods of Hawaiian Spinner Dolphins swimming alongside our vessel!!
Other Locations Too See Could Include
- Hanalei Bay & Pier
- Queen's Bath
- Waimea Canyon
- Wailua Falls
- Opaeka's Falls
- Kilauea Lighthouse
- Rainbow Eucalyptus Trees
- Lumahai Beach
- Tunnels Beach
- 4-nights single occupancy lodging at the Sheraton Kauai Coconut Beach Resort
- All transportation during the workshop.
- A great time, good memories, and a lot of laughs!
What's Not Included
- Meals, snacks and beverages
- Transportation to and from Kauai
- Camera setting considerations for varying conditions, locations and desired effects
- Techniques on creating powerful & dynamic compositions
- Step by step instruction on shooting & stitching panoramic images
- Strategies on gaining full detail in high dynamic range scenes
- Bracketing concepts for adding a variety of looks & blending opportunities
- Camera settings for maximizing depth of field & nailing focus within an image
- Mastering shutter speeds for gaining the desired look & feel of water
- Creating compelling compositions and storytelling through images
- Controlling your camera in manual mode
- Understanding and using the Histogram
- Composition techniques
- Finding foregrounds
- Filters - when and how to use them. Avoiding their pitfalls
- How lens selection affects the scene
- Technical Tricks: Bracketing, Focus Stacking, Perspective Blending
- Understanding and using light.
- Capturing difficult scenes
- Lightroom and Photoshop Techniques
- Importing and organizing
- Using the clone tool, warping, stretching and eliminating distractions
- Blending images in Photoshop
- Dodging and burning
- Using layers and masks
- Image critique
Recommended Camera Gear
- DSLR or mirrorless camera (full-frame preferable)
- Lenses ranging from wide angle (16-35), mid-range (24-105) & telephoto (100-400)
- Sturdy tripod & ballhead (strong winds are common)
- Remote shutter release
- Circular polarizer and ND filters
- Lens cloths
- Extra batteries & memory cards
- Cleaning supplies
- Rocket blower
- Laptop with Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop
- Protection for your camera gear & backpack
- Underwater camera or waterproof housing. Contact Us for recommendations
Recommended Personal Gear/Clothing
- Quick dry, lightweight long pants, shorts and shirts
- Hiking sandals and/or water shoes
- Rain jacket & wind shell
- Fleece underlayer
- Water resistant hiking boots/shoes
- Day bag or small backpack for carrying a change of clothes and/or swimwear
- Refillable water bottle
- Insect repellent
Ryan Smith developed a love and passion for the outdoors early on in life, which fueled an obsession for landscape photography. Growing up in the beautifully diverse state of Utah Ryan has consistently traveled through the west and beyond capturing iconic views, which spark emotion and tell a story. Ryan's artistic style is unique and unmistakable which has led to prestigious awards and work featured within publications. His work is also found within various high end galleries throughout the west including Jackson Hole, Wyoming; Park City, Utah; Telluride, Colorado; Aspen, Colorado & Sedona, Arizona.
Combining his professional experience as a corporate trainer with his passion for photography, Ryan has a knack for sharing the technical aspects of photography in an easy to understand way through various workshops, tours, and events through the west and the Hawaiian Islands. He enjoys adapting to the various needs of his attendees whether it's in the field learning the technical side and composition techniques, or if its in the classroom focusing on perfecting post editing techniques and helping achieve a print ready image.